Active filters - Click to deactivate
Royal Tokaji Wine CompanyThe Royal Tokaji Wine Company, founded in Hungary in 1990, has become one of the most defining wineries in Tokaj. From the outset, Royal Tokaji decided to concentrate on producing single-vineyard wines, made from the first growth vineyards of Mezes Maly, Nyulaszo, Szt Tamas and Betsek. Acknowledged as one of the region's top winemakers, Karoly Ats combines traditional techniques with modern technology to create the award-winning Royal Tokaji range of wines. Royal Tokaji is the acknowledged leader of the renaissance of this legendary Hungarian wine, which, in the words of the wine author and company co-founder Hugh Johnson, is "a wine that would make angels sing out loud in praise".
- Aszu Essencia is a blend of Nyulaszo and St Tamas vineyards. By definition, Aszu Essencia has a residual sugar level of more than 180 grams per litre and is thus above a 6 puttonyos designation. Its characteristics are incredible sumptuousness and richness balanced with apple and quince acidity. Aszu Essencia is bottled in a hand crafted replica of an 18th century bottle.
- This Gold Medal winner is named after Royal Tokaji's Winemaker of the Year 2006, Karoly Ats, whose family have produced wines in the Tokaji wine region for generations. The grape varieties are Furmint, Harslevelu and Muscat de Lunel and the wine is produced for early drinking. The alcohol strength is always low, around 10%. The wine has the colour of sun and hay. Áts Cuvée's characteristics are fresh tropical fruits, with a tiny hint of quince, which gives a lingering citrus finish. Ideal as an aperitif or with asian and chinese foods. Áts Cuvée has, in a very short time, become an icon of achievement in Hungary. Enjoy within 3 years of production. Áts Cuvée is labeled Mad Cuvée in the U.S.A.
- Royal Tokaji now owns 16 hectares of this long established vineyard. Situated to the south east of Mad in Hungary, it produces lusciously refreshing wines that are always in demand. Betsek’s black volcanic topsoil contributes to the mineral and lovely black pepper characters in the wine. Apricot and honey predominate. Betsek is an old Magyar family name and this vineyard produces consistently balanced aszu wines. Betsek has been served by President Putin in St Petersburg.
- The tiny Birsalmas vineyard borders the town of Mad and its gently sloping vineyards face south east. At .5 hectares, it produces on average 1,800 bottles each vintage. Birsalmas means quince in Hungarian and there is always an element of quince interwoven with the other honey, apricot and honeydew melon flavours. Birsalmas is the only 2nd growth single vineyard wine in the portfolio.
- Essencia is the richest and rarest of all Hungarian Tokaji wines. It is the truest expression of terroir known to man. Typically, this free run juice takes 6 to 8 years to complete its fermentation to less than 3% alcohol. Essencia can reach 85% residual sugar. Essencia wine is legendary. Essencia 2000 is presented in numbered bottles in a brass hinged wooden box complete with a traditional crystal spoon.
- This dry white wine from the Tokaji wine region is produced 100% from the dominant grape varietal in the Tokaji wine region. Royal Tokaji's first vintage was 2003 which was a Decanter Magazine Best Buy.
It is an early budding, late ripening variety and is particularly susceptible to noble rot. Its high acidity gives the wine longevity. Furmint's characteristics are clear, apricot and a hint of honey on the nose. The depth of fruit is balanced by its mineral backbone. Furmint is becoming one of the most demanded new exotic white grape varieties. Enjoy within 4 years of production.
- Mezes Maly, in the Tarcal commune of Hungary, had the distinction of being classified as one of only two vineyards to be elevated to the equivalent of Great 1st growth in the Rakoczi classification of 1700. Situated on loess soil on a south facing slope, this famous vineyard is now enjoying a renaissance of its own. Mezes Maly’s characteristics are based around its translation as ‘honey pot'. Its incredibly long and exquisitely balanced aromas and flavours combine the very essence of aszu wines. Mezes Maly's 11 hectares are jointly owned by the company and Hugh Johnson.
- Nyulaszo has always produced aszu wines that have contributed most to the house style of Royal Tokaji. Its 18 hectares, to the east of Mad in Hungary, are contiguous with the St Tamas vineyard. The translation in English is ‘to catch hares’. Its red volcanic topsoil produces very elegant, lively wines. Incredible depth of flavours make this vineyard a favourite with Burgundy lovers. Nyulaszo is one of the most sought after vineyards, even though the name is not easy to pronounce. Nyulaszo has been served by the Queen at Windsor Castle.
- This perfectly balanced 5 puttonyos wine is now widely available throughout the world. Royal Tokaji’s 1st growth Nyualszo vineyard is the benchmark for quality. As in all aszu wines, the three grape varieties are Furmint, Harslevelu and Muscat de Lunel. The characteristics are a vivid gold colour with honeyed apricot and orange peel flavours which are uplifted with dramatic acidity.
Red Label - USA
Blue Label - Rest of the World
- More intense, this wine is produced from the company’s 1st growth vineyards. Blended from declassified wines, quantities are always dependent on the quality of each vintage. As in all aszu wines, the three grape varieties are Furmint, Harslevelu and Muscat de Lunel. The characteristics are a vivid gold colour with honeyed apricot and orange peel flavours which are uplifted with dramatic acidity.